I’m simply amazed at the lack of customer service no matter where you go. It seems like customer service has gone the way of the dinosaur. I think we all have experienced bad customer service (just a few examples) –
- no one around to help you
- employees chatting to each other and ignoring you
- simply rude or unfriendly or not accommodating
- no greeting or smile to acknowledge your presence
- at a restaurant, the server doesn’t come back to check up on you until they hand you the bill
- slow service when business doesn’t look very busy
- no apology if you have been waiting for awhile to get services
- floors, carpeting, walls look like they haven’t been cleaned, vacuumed, painted
- closed to feedback about your experience, especially if it’s negative
Unfortunately, many businesses simply don’t understand that good or bad service affects not only their bottom line but also their reputation. They don’t pay attention to or dismiss the finer details when it comes to providing a satisfying experience for the customer.
I’m a firm believer in good customer service. Whether I’m shopping at the mall or eating at a restaurant or going to the doctor’s office, my experience is all the more satisfying, when I’m greeted with a warm smile, when someone one says “hi” or asks “how can I help you?” or gives prompt attention to my questions. I can readily tell when someone goes the extra mile for me. The level of customer service can make all the difference in deciding to return back, how much I tip, or referring a friend to a particular service.